Allergic Reactions to Wet Wipes

Methylchloroisothiazolinone (or MCI), a common preservative used in some brands of baby wipes or moist towelettes is known to cause severe allergic rashes and blisters.  The Archives of Dermatology reported cases of extremely painful allergic contact dermatitis (lesions) in adult patients.

When the use of the wipes was discontinued, the problem cleared up.  The researchers write that patients “often continue to use the moist toilet paper with the belief that the cleansing will help heal the lesions” and “may not make the correlation that the moist toilet paper is the culprit.”   Continue reading “Allergic Reactions to Wet Wipes”