Take a tip from your vet. Dogs are eating this wonder food every day, why not you? Wouldn’t you also like a soft, glossy coat and healthy skin? This superseed is known for its immune system benefits and anti-inflammatory properties. What is it? It’s ground flaxseed.
Per a study published in the American Journal of Physiology¹, flaxseed is actually considered a ‘functional food’. That is, it:
- Has physiological benefits and/or
- Reduces the risk of chronic disease
- Has basic nutritional effects
Dietary flaxseed is a rich source of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) and lignans which may help:
1. Decrease inflammation by blocking the release of some pro-inflammatory agents. Studies show atherosclerotic plaque regression can occur when inflammation is inhibited. Once plaque regression occurs, your arterial walls can heal and are better able to open and relax (necessary for healthy heart function). See “Inflammation | Foods that Heal and Harm“.
2. Decrease total cholesterol by 7% and LDL levels or “bad” cholesterol by 10%. (Per a study of menopausal women² that consumed 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed each day for three months.)
3. Reduce atherosclerotic plaque buildup by up to 75%. Arteries harden when plaque is deposited in the arteries (atherosclerosis). Some studies suggest that flaxseed omega-3’s keep white blood cells from sticking to the inner lining of the blood vessels. Continue reading “Eat this Food EVERY Day”