Do you need help planning balanced, antioxidant-rich* meals? This small-group session is a follow-up to “The Basics” class. It provides you with specific menus based around centenarian principles and the vegetarian and Mediterranean-style patterns. (The Basics class is not required, but recommended.)
Simple menu plans and plant-rich plates are heart healthy, diabetic friendly, and cancer protective. Ideal if you’re trying to lose weight and want simplicity in the kitchen.
*Note: If you received a low antioxidant test score, i.e., Skin Carotenoid Score (SCS), when we tested you at the Kick-Off Shopping Party, the menus provided in this class will help you boost antioxidant activity and your SCS score.
OBJECTIVE: Learn how to put healthy eating into practice.
WHEN: Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 4:00 pm
WHERE: Sports Basement San Ramon – 1041 Market Place, San Ramon, CA 94583
INSTRUCTOR: Karen Owoc, B.S., Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist / Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
Participants will receive 20% off on all purchases at the Sports Basement on this day.
Hope all you dads out there had a Happy Father’s Day! Here are pics from my guest expert appearance on ABC 10 featuring healthy meals that kids can make for dear ol’ dad or for any occasion. I used pre-cut veggies and pre-sliced beef and Lékué steam cases (both the large and small size) for cooking. No need for kids to have to slice, dice, or cook over a hot stove.
If you haven’t tried a Lékué steam case yet, you are missing out on an opportunity to make healthy, easy and fast cuisine. It’s a new way of cooking! More to come on my “Fit Finds” page.
On the menu:
- Appetizer: Broccamole (Aztec Guacamole) with fresh carrot “chips”, sliced cucumbers, broccoli florets, baked sweet potato crinkles, and a mixed medley of cherry tomatoes. Broccoli was chopped with my “pull” food processor. No knives! (Adult supervision is still needed.)
- Entree: Asian Sliced Beef and Veggies (beef and vegetables were purchased pre-sliced ‘fajita’ style, then marinated, and cooked in the large red Lékué steam case)
- Side: Chili Beans with Diced Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower (‘riced’ veggies were also purchased pre-diced and cooked in the small green Lékué steam case)
- Beverage: Iced Tea with fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Dessert: Fresh Fruit Cup (layers of fresh kiwi, raspberries, strawberries, mango + crumbled whole wheat graham crackers + Kozy Shack® tapioca pudding topped with non-fat whipped cream and a Bing cherry on top)
Stay tuned… I’ll be featuring a healthy Fourth of July meal on ABC 10 next week!