“Some people think it’s safe to give dogs large bones,” said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA. “Bones are unsafe no matter what their size.”
All bones can cause broken teeth, constipation, and mouth or tongue injuries. Also, bones or bone fragments can get stuck in a dog’s esophagus or even its stomach, which might require surgery. Worse yet, a real bone can cause a deadly bacterial infection of the abdomen, called peritonitis. This happens when bone fragments poke holes in a dog’s stomach or intestines.