When you’re in the mood for something different for lunch, try one of these refreshing high-protein sandwiches. They’re unusually delicious with their light soft texture, several layers of flavor, and cool crisp crunch. Start out with a base of sweet red onion, top with a generous slice of tofu seasoned with natural soy sauce and savory Spike® spice, then complete with a bed of paper-thin slices of fresh cucumber.
Cucumbers have negligible calories and are a very good source of vitamin C and K. They are actually classified as fruits, like squash, avocado, and tomatoes, since they have an enclosed seed and develop from a flower.
Cucumbers that are grown to be eaten fresh are called “slicers” as opposed to those meant to be pickled which are called “picklers”. Interestingly, cucumbers are eaten in their ‘unripe’ green stage because when fully ripe (yellow in color), they tend to be bitter and sour.
Print the Shopping List – Tofu Slicer Sandwich
1. Mix well in a small bowl and set aside:
- 1 1/2 tsp. Colman’s mustard (double superfine mustard powder)
- 1 1/2 tsp. water
2. Slice lengthwise into thirds (1/2″ thick):
- 14 oz. of House® soft (silken) tofu, drained
3. Peel and slice to a paper-thin thickness using a mandoline or slice thinly by hand:
- 1/3 of a large ‘Garden’ cucumber (This variety is preferred in this recipe due to it’s high water content.)
- 1/4″ slice of whole sweet red onion
5. Build the sandwich as follows:
- (bottom) Slice of Orowheat® Double Fiber bread spread with 1 tsp. of mayonnaise
- Tofu (Score the top of the tofu and spoon preservative-free soy sauce over the top so the soy sauce seeps into the cuts.)
- Sprinkle Spike® seasoning over the entire tofu slice
- Slice of Orowheat® Double Fiber bread spread with Colman’s mustard
Makes 1 serving. (One block of tofu and one cucumber will yield 3 sandwiches.)
Eat immediately and enjoy! (This is a moisture-rich sandwich, so it’s not meant to be packed away and eaten later.)
Fit Tip: Freeze your loaf of bread the day you buy it, so you always have ‘fresh’ bread on hand. Enclose the loaf in another plastic bag and close tightly. Remove slices as you need them. By the time you assemble your sandwich, the bread will be defrosted and ready to eat.
The secret to making this sandwich delectable is the bread and hot mustard. Be sure your bread is super fresh (not dry). Orowheat Double Fiber® is the ideal companion to encase your ingredients. A slice of House® silken tofu fits perfectly end to end with two pieces of bread containing 12 grams of fiber! (48% of your recommended daily intake of fiber.) Also, Colman’s® English mustard is the perfect complement and adds a delicious layer of heat and character.
© 2009 Karen Owoc and The Health Reporter™. All Rights Reserved.