If you love a traditional spinach dip, but cringe at the thought of all the saturated fat and salt, try this! It’s the new-fashioned version of an old classic and so tasty, you’ll keep going back for more. This leafy green hors d’oeuvre contains a hefty pound of iron-rich spinach. Serve this dip with vitamin C-rich foods, such as bell peppers and broccoli, to help absorb the iron* and boost your energy level.
*Spinach contains non-heme (non-blood) or plant iron which is not easily absorbed as is heme (blood) iron found in meat.
Print the Shopping List – California Spinach Dip
1. Thaw 16 oz. bag of frozen organic leaf spinach in a colander.
2. Chop the following and add to a large bowl:
- 1/2 cup sweet red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
3. Add and mix:
- 12 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. juice from fresh lemon
- 1-2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 20 drops Tabasco®
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4. Add thawed spinach and mix thoroughly.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then scoop up with veggies and flour tortilla wedges. Soft taco size Mission® Carb Balance has a whopping 11 gms of fiber per tortilla.
Makes approximately 4 cups.
Eat and enjoy!
© 2009 Karen Owoc and The Health Reporter™. All Rights Reserved.