Bruschetta (pronounced “brusketta”) is a healthy snack or appetizer and easy to make. (Chopping tomatoes required, but can be therapeutic.) If you’re so lucky to have vine-ripened tomatoes and homegrown basil on hand, this refreshing Italian dish promises to be extra flavorful. The tomatoes add a rich source of lycopene making it a red-hot antioxidant that’s protective against aging and a growing list of cancers.
Print the Shopping List – Bruschetta with Garden Tomatoes & Basil
1. Chop the following and mix in a small bowl:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/8 red onion
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 9-10 fresh basil leaves
2. Add the following and stir:
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sea salt to taste
3. Slice the following into 3/4″ diagonal slices and place on a baking sheet:
- 1 whole grain baguette
4. Broil the bread on “HIGH” on top rack for about 1 1/2 minutes until golden brown. Flip over and broil 1 minute on other side.
5. Remove bread to a platter and rub slices with:
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in 1/2 crosswise
6. Brush slices of bread with:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Optional: You can also brush pesto on bread in place of the oil and garlic rub.
Spread the colorful tomato-herb mixture on top of the warm toast and enjoy!
Makes approximately 32 pieces.