Are you running on an empty tank? People who start their day without an a.m. meal often feel depleted, overeat later in the day, and make some not-so-smart decisions as they go along. Eating a good breakfast sets the stage for making healthy choices that will power up your body as well as your brain.
Why Eat Breakfast?
As you sleep, your body works hard to digest last night’s dinner. By the time you wake up, your body and brain demand fuel.
Three Breakfast Components
Morning menus are filled with options — from breakfast wraps to smoothies in every color — and need not be complicated. Breakfast can be simple, quick and satisfying. Be sure it includes a heart-healthy mix of whole grains, protein, and healthy fat to satisfy you as well as sustain you. Continue reading “♥ Daily Dose | What Makes a Good Breakfast?”
Mangos are in peak season, so find ways to include these refreshing tropical fruits in your daily eating plan. They’re filled with nutritious goodness, flavor, and antioxidants.
Here’s why this colorful fruit makes the A-list of Fountain-of-Youth Foods. Pair it with avocados, an amazingly healthy superfood, that’s rich in fiber, healthy fats and phytonutrients and you’ll have a naturally creamy salsa for fresh fish, chicken or tortilla chips.
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion
- Juice from 3/4 of a whole lime
- 1-2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/16 of 1 jalapeño, diced (use more or less based on your desired level of heat)
- 1 large ripe mango (other than the Honey Mango variety), diced
- 14 oz. Pineapple-Honey Mango Salsa* (see below)
1. Mix the above ingredients in a medium bowl and serve.
*Pineapple-Honey Mango Salsa (Tastes great on its own!)
- 4 honey mangos (a.k.a. Manila or Ataulfo Mango), diced
- 1/4 of 1 small fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/16 of 1 jalapeño (to taste)
- 1/4 c. red onions
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 of 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lime
Fit Tip: Look for honey mangos that have some ‘wrinkling’ on the outside. They may look like they’re older, but that’s when they are sweet, creamy in texture, and ripe! Also, if you’re in a hurry, mix in your favorite prepared guacamole (I like Whole Foods’ fresh guacamole) with the fresh mango, jalapeño and Pineapple-Mango Salsa.