Welcome to my website! If you’ve landed here looking to cultivate a new healthy lifestyle, I can be your guide. As a clinical specialist and health educator, I assist adults with type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, cancer, obesity, orthopedic limitations in addition to cardiovascular and neurodegenerative disease.
I am fortunate to have found a platform as the weekly health expert on KRON 4 Morning News Weekend. Every Saturday I condense new scientific studies to a five-minute education segment, translate medical language, create visuals, and distill information into practical healthy living tips. As the recurring health expert on ABC 10 in Sacramento, I create distinctively clever, fun, and healthful food demonstrations.
My Why: In 1990, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. After an unsuccessful surgery and due to the extent of the disease, her oncologist told us she had three months to live. My heart ached realizing she may never see her first grandchild through his first nine months. It was harsh. I refused to accept her doctor’s cruel declaration and was angry that he would strip my mom (or anyone for that matter) of life’s most powerful feeling — hope.
I heard about the Maruyama vaccine, a controversial anti-cancer agent used in Japan, and jumped through hoops to get it. This daily injection may have been useless, but it was a potent drug — and here’s why. This vaccine gave us hope, and clutching onto hope made each day bearable.
Sadly, my mom passed away at the age of 64 just outside of the doctor’s three-month window. So with each TV show, each Fit Tip, and each cardiac patient, spreading hope underlies every thing I do. Medical information can be overwhelming and even depressing depending on your frame of reference. After my mom’s death, I couldn’t read a health article without worrying about my fate and family. With that said, I make a point to provide science-based news with a shot of optimism and small actions steps to live well.
I hope you’ll find inspiration, motivation, and plenty of tips here. My goal is to help you protect your brain and body from the daily wear and tear of aging and live a full, strong, and vibrant life.
I have 3 kids and consider myself the luckiest mom ever. I enjoy nature and its beauty; “was” a competitive skier and instructor, but now find my thrills in rehabbing people and recipes. 🙂
Education / Certifications
B.S. Kinesiology, concentration in Biodynamics, California State University Sacramento https://www.linkedin.com/in/karenowoc/
- Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist, American College of Sports Medicine
- Certified Memory Program Specialist/Licensee, University of California, Los Angeles
- Certified Orthopedic Exercise Specialist, American Council on Exercise
- Certified Cancer Exercise Trainer, American College of Sports Medicine
- Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist, American Council on Exercise
- Living Strong, Living Well Instructor (cancer fitness program), Stanford School of Medicine
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), American Heart Association
- Basic Life Support for Health Professionals (BLS), American Heart Association
- 2014 San Francisco Peninsula Press Club
- 2008 Richard M. Aronson Special Service