Need some healthy fast food? Here’s a high-protein, high fiber dish that you can enjoy as a side, salad or to-go lunch. Why quinoa? It’s protein dense, rich in B vitamins and omega-3 fats which means it’s not only healthy for your heart, but nourishing for your bones and skin. It’s also gluten-free if you’re sensitive to wheat. The frozen red quinoa and brown rice combo is already cooked which makes preparing this power salad simple and quick!
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp OR raw shrimp
- 2 cups frozen red quinoa & brown rice medley
- 2 diced Roma tomatoes
- 2 stalks chopped green onion
- 1 cup sliced Wasabi Arugula* greens (a blend of wasabi arugula, spinach and sweet lettuce)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: diced avocado
*Wasabi arugula has a more peppery taste than the regular variety. That’s because this new boutique green is cross pollinated with horseradish (a non-GMO natural varietal) which gives it a complex spicy flavor of freshly made wasabi paste. It’s very high in vitamin A and contains vitamin C, calcium and iron as well as potassium.
- Dice Roma tomatoes to fill 2 cups.
- Slice wasabi arugula to fill 1 cup.
- Chop 2 stalks green onions.
- Optional: Dice avocado.
- Cook 2 cups quinoa/brown rice medley per directions on the package.
- Optional: Skewer and grill marinated shrimp if using uncooked shrimp.
- Add cut veggies to cooked grains.
- Blend 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar.
- Pour dressing over grain and vegetable mixture, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, and toss.
- Plate and lay shrimp on top of each serving. Enjoy!
To grill the shrimp, it’s easiest to put the shrimp on skewers first unless they’re very large. Once the grill is hot:
- Place the skewered shrimp on the grill.
- Brush with a little extra virgin olive oil or garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes and turn the skewers.
- Continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove from heat and finish with some freshly squeezed lime juice.